31 Days of Finding Enjoyment

Every now and then, for the last several years, I will have a moment of deep quietness.  It is in those times that I remember how much I like to write.  It's similar to the feeling I get when I remember how much I like a food I haven't eaten for a while, or a favorite book I haven't read for years.  Familiar pleasure.  And it makes me yearn.

Cultivating pleasure doesn't come easily to me. It's not that I don't enjoy things, it's more that because I have such a warped sense of responsibility,  I default to the priority of making the world right before it occurs to me that I should do something for the sheer joy of doing.  Now, I am realistic enough to know I can't make the world right, and I have plenty of biblical knowledge to explain who can.  But I have lived a long time with the need to do one more thing before I indulge in the things that except for pleasure, don't really accomplish much. 

The greatest One who ever mused, dreamed and created never intended this to be.  In each of us, there lies elements of His musing, His dreaming, His creative spirit that is intended to give birth to joy that flow from our lives.  I have not been living up to my potential, as my teachers used to say. Have you? 

Last month I read the book of Ecclesiastes in the New Living Translation, and heard a completely different voice in my head as I did.  Solomon, who really had it all, points out to us that having it all doesn't amount to much of a life. He spent part of his, as he tells us, pursuing every possession and pleasure a king could pursue, applying his great wisdom to understanding life, faith and all it's complexity only to have this to say-

"That’s the whole story. Here now is my final conclusion: Fear God and obey his commands, for this is everyone’s duty. 14 God will judge us for everything we do, including every secret thing, whether good or bad."

Whoa. He opens the book with the vanity of it all, and ends it with the judgement of God.  This is not a cheery book. Or, is it? 

"So I recommend having fun, because there is nothing better for people in this world than to eat, drink, and enjoy life. That way they will experience some happiness along with all the hard work God gives them under the sun." Ecc 8:15.

The truth is, life is full of good and bad, work and rest, joy and pain.  In the midst of it all, God has intended for us to have fun.  This was an unexpected thought for me, and one I've been pondering ever since. 

So for 31 days, I'm going to write, quote, and share things that just speak of enjoyment just for the sake of pleasure. Not because it accomplishes something, but because it just is...

en·joy·ment

noun \in-ˈjȯi-mənt\ : a feeling of pleasure caused by doing or experiencing something you like.

Feel like coming along for the ride? 

Comments

Sasha Wheatley said…
Absolutely! Looking forward to reading more of your writing - always blessed by your teaching, sharing and encouragement.

Popular posts from this blog

Not Another Hectic Holiday Post

Still Tasty

On Eating and Sleeping